Combined Defence Service Examination
You can take the CDS Entrance Exam conducted by UPSC while you are in final year of Graduation / possess any Graduate Degree. Clear the SSB interview, be medically fit and join IMA as a Direct Entry subject to meeting all eligibility conditions and availability of vacancies. For details of exam dates / Notification visit UPSC website (link).
Candidates finally selected will undergo Military Training for a period of 18 Months at respective Academies.
|If you have any queries, feel free to contact us.|
What is CDS Exam?
CDS exam is organized by UPSC for the recruitment to different posts of Indian Air Force Academy, Officer Training Academy, India Military Academy & Indian Naval Academy. The National Level Entrance exam is conducted twice a year, first in the Month of February and second in the month of November. This exam is one of the biggest opportunity for candidates who want to pursue a career in this field. Women/girls can also apply for the CDS exam under the posts of Officer Training Academy (OTA) only.
CDS 2 2019: Important Dates
|CDS 2 2019 Notification Date||12.06.2019|
|Start date of CDS 2 online application||12.06.2019|
|Last date to Apply CDS 2 exam online||08.07.2019|
|CDS 2 2019 Exam Date||08.09.2019|
CDS 2 2019 Vacancy
For CDS 2 2019 exam the vacancy has been released. Check the CDS 2 2019 vacancy below:
|CDS Course||Total Vacancies|
|Indian Military Academy, Dehradun||100|
|Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala||45|
|Indian Air Force Academy, Hyderabad||32|
|Officers Training Academy, Chennai (Men)||225|
|Officers Training Academy, Chennai (Women)||15|
CDS 2 Application Form
The online Application for UPSC CDS 2 2019 exam is now active. The last date for submitting the online application is 8th July 2019. Below are the general instructions that a CDS candidate should follow for the ease in form submission.
How to Apply for CDS (II) 2019 Exam?
Follow the steps below to apply online for the CDS 2 Exam 2019:
- Visit official site upsconline.nic.in/ and Click “ONLINE APPLICATION FOR VARIOUS EXAMINATIONS OF UPSC“.
- In the Page click on column “Click Here for PART I भाग- I के लिए यहां क्लिक करें” against Combined Defence Services Examination (II)
- Under the section of PART I read the instruction carefully and in the Bottom click on Yes / हां.
- Now the Application form will be appeared, fill your personal and contact details.
- Select the preference for the academies as per age & qualification.
- Now continue to next step. The Registration ID would be generated.
- The candidates should then head to “Part II” of the application form.
- Next step is to deposit the fee of Rs. 200/-.
- Once the fee payment is done, select the desired examination centre.
- Upload a scanned copy of the photograph and signature as per the file size & dimensions specified in the official notification.
- Click to “Submit”.
- Print/ Download the application form for future use.
- The fees for the CDS application form is Rs. 200/-
- SC/ST/Females are exempted from fee payment.
- The payment submission is available in both offline and online mode.
- The payment can be done via Net Banking, Mastercard/Debit Card or cash deposit in any branch of SBI Bank.
The salary of all CDS posts is as follow:
|Lieutenant Level 10||Rs. 56,100 – 1,77,500|
|Captain Level 10 B||Rs. 6,13,00 – 1,93,900|
|Major Level 11||Rs. 6,94,00 – 2,07,200|
|Lieutenant Colonel Level 12A||Rs. 1,21,200 – 2,12400|
|Colonel Level 13||Rs. 1,30,600-2, 15,90|
|Brigadier Level 13A||Rs. 1,39,600-2,17,600|
|Major General Level 14||Rs. 1,44,200-2,18,200|
|Lieutenant General HAG Scale Level 15||Rs. 1,82,200 – 2,24,100|
|HAG+Scale Level 16||Rs. 2,05,400 – 2,24,400|
|VCOAS/Army Cdr/ Lieutenant General (NFSG) Level 17||Rs. 2,25,000/-(fixed)|
|COAS Level 18||Rs. 2,50,000/-(fixed)|
The candidates are advised to check the eligibility criteria before applying for CDS 2 2019 examination. Candidates should fulfil the eligibility criteria of UPSC CDS exam at the following levels:
A candidate should be:
- The Citizenship of India, or
- The subject of Nepal/Bhutan, or
- Tibetan refugee who had been migrated to India before January 01, 1962 with the intention of Permanent Settle, or
- An individual of Indian Origin migrated from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Burma, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zambia, Zaire & Vietnam for permanent settle purpose in India.
2. Age Limit
The aspirants can check the age limit of CDS (II) 2019 exam for various posts in Combined Defence Services from the table below:
|Indian Military Academy||not earlier than 2nd July 1995 and not later than 1st July 2000|
|Indian Naval Academy||not earlier than 2nd July 1995 and not later than 1st July 2000|
|Indian Air Force Academy||20 to 24 years as on 1st July 2019|
|Officers’ Training Academy||2nd July 1994 and not later than 1st July 2000|
|Officers’ Training Academy—(SSC Women Non-Technical Course)||not earlier than 2nd July 1994 and not later than 1st July, 2000|
Gender Requirement for Different Posts
|Indian Military Academy||Male||Unmarried|
|Indian Naval Academy||Male||Unmarried|
|Indian Air Force Academy||Male||Unmarried|
|Officer Training Academy||Male||Married/Unmarried|
|Officer Training Academy||Female||Unmarried|
What Physical Standards are Required?
The aspirants who have applied for different posts of CDS exam should be mentally and physically fit in order to meet the physical standard guidelines, as mentioned in the official notification.
3. Educational Qualification
Check the educational qualification requirement of UPSC CDS 2 2019 exam for different job posts from the table below.
|Post||Educational Eligibility Criteria|
|IMA||Graduate from Recognized University|
|INA||Engineering Degree from Recognized University|
|AFA||Engineering Degree (Physics & Math at 10+2) or B. Tech from Recognized University|
|OTA||Graduate from Recognized University|
Exam centres are allocated to the candidates to attend the CDS II 2019 exam. The candidates who will apply for UPSC CDS 2 exams need to choose an appropriate examination centre for as per their feasibility. Check the list of state-wise examination centres/cities below:
|Sr. No.||State||Examination Centre|
|20||Jammu and Kashmir||Jammu|
|31||Andaman and Nicobar||Port Blair|
|37||Jammu and Kashmir||Srinagar|
Below is the important detail for UPSC CDS Selection procedure. Check it out.
- The recruitment of Air Force, IMA, INA & Officers Training Academyposts is done on the basis of:
- Written Exam
- Interview for Intelligence & Personality Test
- Document Verification
- Medical Examination
- A Merit list is prepared for those students who obtain good marks in the written examination and SSB test.
- Again note the final round of selection is based on the medical fitness for all available posts.
Note: The written exam of OTA consists of only 2 test, GK and English.
Syllabus and Exam Pattern
The aspirants who are preparing for UPSC CDS 2 2019 exam should be aware of the latest CDS exam pattern and Syllabus. Analysis of the pattern and proper understanding of the important topics of the syllabus will help students score better in this exam.
1. CDS Exam Pattern
The exam pattern of CDS II 2019 is divided into two sections:
- Written Examination
- Intelligence & Personality Test Interview
The exam pattern of CDS 2 examination is different for Officer Training Academy and Indian Naval Academy/Indian Military Academy/Indian Air Force.
1.1 CDS Exam Pattern for NAVY/ ARMY/ AIR FORCE
The exam of Indian Naval Academy/Indian Military Academy/Indian Air Force comprises of 3 papers, which carry a total of 300 marks. The total duration of each exam is 2 hours.
|General Knowledge||100||2 hours|
|Elementary Mathematics||100||2 hours|
1.2 CDS Exam Pattern for Officer Training Academy (OTA)
The exam of Officer Training Academy (OTA) consists of 2 subjects with a total of 200 Marks. The duration of the two exams is 4 hours (2 hours for each exam).
|General Knowledge||100||2 hours|
2. CDS Syllabus
Candidates should be aware of the subjects of CDS syllabus (II) along with important topics. Candidates are required to check the entire syllabus of CDS 2019 Exam for its thorough preparation.
- UPSC CDS 2 2019 Admit Card will be available for download for the candidates how will successfully submit the application form
- The link to download the admit card will be active on the official website of UPSC
- Applicants can download their CDS admit cards by logging in with their registration ID & password
- Make sure that all the information mentioned on the admit card is correct. If there is any discrepancy, you might not be allowed to appear for the exam
- All applicants are required to bring their admit card to the examination centre
- None of the candidates will be allowed to enter the examination hall without their CDS admit card