Indian Airforce Day 2018 – Touch the Sky with Glory
By Project Shaurya Staff
कद से न नापो हमारी उड़ान , ख्वाहिशें हैं लंबी जो छूले आसमान
जल , थल , वायु में रुतबा एक समान , आसमानी परिंदे हैं हम , वायुसेना हमारा नाम
Indian Air Force is the 4th largest Air Force in the world. It was officially established on 8th october , 1932 (that time being referred to as Royal Indian Air Force).
The Headquarters are in New Delhi. The chief of Air Staff is known as Air Chief Marshal ( present – CAS Birender Singh Dhanoa ).
Since its establishment the Indian Air Force has been bearing the responsibility of safeguarding Indian Air Space along with providing close Air Support to Indian Army as well as Navy on battlefield as well as tactical Airlifting Operations.
Some of the major Operations conducted are:
- World War 2 – The Royal Indian Airforce played a major role in blocking the advance of Japanese Army in Burma.
- First Kashmir war (1947)
- Congo Crisis(1960)
- Second Kashmir War(1965) – First time IAF actively engaged an enemy air force , she carried out independent raids against PAF bases. IAF Folland Gnats proved effective against F-86 Sabres ( earning it the name Sabre Slayers).
- Bangladesh Liberation War (1971) – Again the Sabre Slayers proved their might by successfully repulsing the enemy attack at Garibpur. Apart from assisting the Indian Navy in Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea. Air Force proved very effective in the victory in Battle of Longewala. Thus successfully gaining control over the eastern and western front.
- Operation Meghdoot(1984): Gaining control over Saltoro Ridge would not have been possible without IAF’s Mi-8 ,Chetak and Cheetah helicopters ( and their pilots of course).
- Operation Safed Sagar: IAF again proved helpful as the pilots of MiG-21, MiG 27 caused huge damage and threat to the enemy by striking their positions.
Counter Attack , response evacuation, search and rescue operations, delivery of relief supplies. You name it and the Air warriors have it, after all that’s what they are trained for.
- SU-30MKI : One of the best fighter jets in the world, developed by Russia and built under HALs license. It is capable of carrying medium range missiles. Has maximum speed of 2500 km/hr.
- Dassault Mirage 2000 : Multirole fighter of French origin used for Air defense. Capable of carrying cannons and missiles.
- MiG-29 : Indian Air Force was the first international customer of this Fighter Aircraft of Russian origin. Warheads include cannons and missiles.
- MiG-21 : This Russian based multirole aircraft is the backbone of Indian Airforce. India presently has 252 in operational stage.
- Jaguar : An Anglo-French attack aircraft, it has the capacity to carry 4750 kg of externa stores.
- Boeing C-17 : A transport aircraft. The deal between Boeing and IAF was finalized in Feb 2011.
- C-130j Super Hercules – Used for special operations. It is US based transport Aircraft manufactured by Lockheed Martin.
How to join as an officer ?
10+2 Entry(NDA) : Best opportunity for boys having science stream at 10+2 level to get commissioned into Flying Branch. The exam is conducted by UPSC twice every year, written paper consists of General Awareness and Mathematics followed by SSB for successful candidates.
CDSE Entry: Again an exclusive entry for engineering graduates(male only) . Exam is conducted by UPSC twice every year , the paper consists of General Awareness , Mathematics and English , followed by SSB for qualifying candidates.
NCC Special Entry: Way to direct SSB for NCC Air wing senior div C certificate holders ( both men and women having graduation in engineering with minimum 60% marks can apply).
AFCAT Entry: This is the most famous exam conducted to induct men and women in all three branches of Indian Air Force. The educational qualifications differ according to each branch. The exam is now conducted online by CDAC.
Meteorological Branch : Post graduates in science / Maths / geography / Computer Application / Meteorology / Statistics can apply.
Start today, join Indian Air Force and give wings to your dreams !!!